Saturday, April 9, 2011

Barefoot

The previous nights storm continues to provide me discomfort.
Not enough to wake me multiple times during the night,
She abandons a gift of
A pile of mud and leaves besides the door of the car
For me to traverse

The cold morning breeze shivers my body,
Still pajamad
I place a sweater on top
But still
The frozen feet shiver

A friend’s home
A place of solace and comfort each Tuesday night
Today welcomes me
With pines
Sticks
Jabs
To soft, tender skin

Ceramic tile of bathroom floor
The joy of reading the newspaper
My place of relaxation
Instead
I scan the floor for germ-filled drops

Inside the cosiness of home
I write, make calls, type
Body dressed snug
Toes wiggle in desperation for warmth
Longing for socks

Entering restaurant and scanning menu
Eyes look at me
Well not me
But my
My barefeet

I am uncomfortable
I am cold
I am in pain

I am exposed

My humanity is exposed
Through my
Bare Feet

But this was just two days
And I drove and was inside a lot

But this
This vulnerability
Is Yours,
My child,

Everyday
You walk dirt tracks of
Pain
Knowing nothing
Of anything else

Empathy is not enough.




www.toms.com


No comments:

Post a Comment