Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Him & him

So yesterday caused much ruckus
Amongst dating and married couples alike
A hated target amongst other wives
As their husbands declared
They too wanted
A white metal object of joy


My heart delighted
Too much in the deceit
And sneakiness
Of months of secret saving
To provide the “whoop whoop bird”
Something to truly
Make a noise about

But my heart delighted too
In the sacrifice
Of me not being the front
For behind the camera
I, like you, merely watch
In wonder at another’s joy

Was sacrifice worth
Not having Fossil purse
Or lack of TOMS wedges
Was sacrifice worth
More of him and
Less of
me?

Is sacrifice worth making vow
To say I will submit
And follow you
Not rearing ugly domineering head
But letting you lead
Knowing you have my interest
Best interest
Safely in your heart?

And when others
Even royals
Omit obey
Is sacrifice worth
Being the only one
To take words
In humble pie
Willing to say
I don’t know it all
I am often wrong
Two minds
Better than one alone
I will listen
And follow you

And as this horizontal
Same level relationship
Grows
Seeking to lift the other
And not all about self
It spurs me on in my worship of
Him
The one that it matters most about.
The one whose ways I ultimately
Submit to
For they are higher than mine
Wiser than mine

Can we put ourselves aside
Casting down pride
Willing to be less
So that others may be more?






1 comment:

  1. This is so true and so hard at times. As a wife and a mother I have to really die to myself, keep the thoughts away that tell me I should get this, I am right, but what about me sort of feelings. I love this truth: that in reality it may be sacrifice but it is so worth it because of God in me I can rejoice when I am not the one in the spotlight.

    ReplyDelete