Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Beautiful Responsibility


She doesn't scream, but I still hear her
Hand sucking in crib
Voice quietly and aimlessly chattering

When picked up, arms envelope my neck
And sudden head bobbing begins
So sudden, head clatters with my lips
I taste blood in my mouth
My body feels tired
Wondering why I have forsaken
Our favourite time of rest


Clammy fingers reach up towards my neck and fall in submission
As large gulps begin
The wild animal is tamed
And so I lie
For ten
Or twenty
Or thirty
Too often more than 60
Minutes with
No words
Just her heavy breathing
Cutting through the silence of night

Minutes with
The quiet knowledge
That to her
This twilight exploration
Is like manna from heaven
Full fat organic goodness
Her only way to survive

Without me,
she is weak
A responsibility that shatters my selfishness
Breaks my wants
Shows me so much of unfailing love of Father God

Physically, you tire me
Spiritually, you revive me

The burp rudely juxtaposes the silence
Your mouth accidentally drips its excess
Head flops over my shoulder
Body waves white flag
As slowly I lay you back down


My beautifully exhausting responsibility




{written in 30 mins during a 5am feeding session. feeding zella hasnt always been an easy journey...thankful that I have come to the place where I can celebrate it}

No comments:

Post a Comment