Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Empty?


I felt empty.

Steve and I had dreamt about this weekend.
We had loved our time at Keele University:
the campus, the courses, the nightlife,
and the Christian Union.
The CU weekends away with inspirational teaching, relationship building and muddy football games were an annual highlight.
We walked away after graduation both wanting to go back and impart into students at a later date.
Knowing the CU president and our return to England imminent, the stars seemed to have aligned and opened an opportunity.
We were excited and eagerly anticipated all the things we would do, the ways Father God would move.

Who would have known that we would travel to that weekend, driving away from a house shrouded in grief just less than three weeks previously.

Like I said, I felt empty.

The weekend passed like a blur.
We had planned and prepared as diligently as ever, but I looked back and questioned whether things were as creative as we could have made them,
whether we really challenged them enough,
if our words were full of Holy Spirit, or just read off of a paper.

I wondered if I had really given my best,
if we had done the right thing.

After the weekend, our Facebook burgeoned with friend requests, comments about how much our talk spoke to them. And I got the warm and fuzzies.

When you think you don’t do well,
When things are super hard,
But you step out in faith regardless,
God can do great things.

True.

But not the end.

The thing is
I don’t just want warm and fuzzies.

I don’t just want to experience the high of a temporary feeling.
To think I did something good one day
And the next
Nothing substantial has changed

More was in store:






Never would I have imagined
That out of pouring myself out
That weekend still grieving
And being open to what Father wanted to do
That now
Two years to the day later
These girls who sat on seats and listened
Politely taking notes and clapping in the right places
Now
Sit at my table
Text me
Do lunch
Talk birth
Live chat through Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners
And pour into my sweet daughter
(with Petit Filous)

I don’t have much to offer this great world
Just my stories
My inappropriate humour
My meager words
And my love for people
But offer it I will
In the hopes that my longevity
My sticking around and involved
 it makes some difference
It changes some directions
It makes Father God bigger,
more visible,
more tangible,
in more lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment