Friday, October 15, 2010

Way

I had this thought today (which I hope is NOT prophetic to my life!) as Steve and I prepare for our (Ikea and) San Antonio trip.

The one that we have to do before we leave is get extra copies of the Pais:USA advert printed. I pessimistically imagined Steve and I driving along the highway and then suddenly realizing that he had forgotten the flyers he was getting printed from a local print and copy shop.

As a loving, caring, dedicated wife, I couldn’t say “Well leave me to shop in this outlet mall while you go back and pick them up.”

Neither could Steve just stop, drop me off by the side of the road and say “Be back soon love”.

No, we would have to travel that journey back to Arlington, pick up the forgotten items, and then continue on our journey.

In marriage, when one person makes a mistake, it affects both people.

We would both have to turn back.

We would both experience delayed journies.

We would both be behind schedule and off course.

This highlights the importance of who you take your journey with you.

Though our crazy life together has meant that we have got lost in the car several times, I have never felt through our married lives like we went off course of what we were supposed to be doing, more than that, I have never felt that we missed out on what Father God had for us.

Because I picked well.

I picked someone I could trust to lead and navigate. Who I could enjoy short car rides, and long arduous journies through mountains with.

I didn’t pick someone who I felt would lead me to go back, drag me down, and cause me to miss out on what I was heading for.

Hopefully Steve feels the same.

[I’ll pay him $10 just to comment and agree at the end to save face.]

Who have you picked as your driving buddy? Are you happy with your choice?

If you are dating, it’s not too late
To let them out by the side of the road.
Or to get out of their car.

If you are married, its time for a hard conversation
and some truths to be told,
and counseling to be had, to
make sure you can go the distance.

If you are single, look carefully.
Don’t fall into the trap of picking up the random hitchhiker by the side of the road,
Because they look like “good fun”
Or you’re tired and you don’t know how much longer you can go driving by yourself.

Our road-trip buddy is second only in importance to the map we are using.

But both are essential

Because we all have a long way to go. 
Steve in his dream "family" vehicle!!


No comments:

Post a Comment