Thursday, March 3, 2011

Breath

I can’t live in you
I can sustain myself
In you
You have nothing for me it seems

Mr. Moment.

There is so much to do
The rush of the days chores and activities
From one activity to the
Next
Like a chain smoker
Barely stubbed up out
I light up the next
Addicted to the adrenaline of a life on the run
Unaware that the smoke is slowly
Wrapping its dirty smog arms around
My lungs as I strain
To even take in

I don’t think I even know what its like to not feel this way
Struggling
Grasping

My mind runs to the future
The trendy loft apartment
Got on a bargain
Conceiving place of the
Newborn I cradle in my arms
As the others run around screaming
“Madea” as my mother helps me in my chaos
steve home from work chases kids around the house
and discusses out latest travel plans
another plane ride awaits us
so much more of the globe to view
lunch with my girlfriends
as we discuss my book tour, job promotions
laughing at the times we were young
and poor

then she
my mind
runs back
back to the moments that won’t be forgotten no matter
how hard
I try they still stay vivid
The regrets of how I struggled so much with knowing me
Who I was
In middle school, high
School days a tear filled blur
Of discomfort within my skin
The unspoken words at college
Was I really the influence I wanted to be?
Did I speak the truth when I was supposed to

Have I done enough?
Will I do enough?

Am I doing
Enough?

But no time to think through this
With so much to do
See
Fear.

Oh Mr. Moment
I want to go on a date
Where I soak in your presence like fine wine at a meal
And I listen and absorb
Tipsy in your presence
As I’ve so fully drunk it in
I want to sit in the sun
And listen
And not stop listening
No matter how hard the rain falls later

I think I can’t catch up with you Mr. Moment
You seem to me to be running away
So very fast
But you tell me:
“In your ignorance, you have lapped me
You are the hare
You resent the tortoise
Even though he was victorious.

In your arrogance you run and rage and battle against me
You dream of a date
A sit down meal with me
But its lustful fancy
Your actions tell me so”

And so I miss
Date after date
Enjoying your company
Long chats
Deep rests

And smoke chokes me
Stops me from breathing.

Why can’t I just live right now
Simply with you
Mr. Moment?






No comments:

Post a Comment