Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Flat Stanley


My head awash with the stress of this life
Why is it…
Why all these things
Decisions
Pains
All at the same time

You poke your head out of my bag
And smile


Your static arms
Fixed position
A stable constant
In this world every changing

Your lighthearted ways bring comfort through this
Heavy yoke
Burden unrelenting

With you
Everyday
I find beauty
New
The things I looked at a million times
Are fresh with your eyes


Dinners become gourmet dishes
Buses become extravagant transport
Houses become terraced palaces



I capture the simple
I marvel in the ordinary

I see your work Father in every little detail

In one hand I take sickness
Emotional distress
Secret hurts
Stressful futures
Perplexing decisions

But in the other I take your joy
Words you speak to me through others
Food that I didn’t even know was in the house
Baggy clothes that smell of a husband far away
The chance to help friends learn Facebook

I see the hope

Not in the future
But in right now

The hundreds upon thousands of gifts before me
Piled high
But seemingly hidden behind piles of mud, dirt and grime

Distraction
Obstacles
A wall that must be broken down

I hold Flat Stanley’s tiny hand
Raising him high to capture the moment


His adventure makes me smile
Reminding me
Of my adventure
My journey
The process

I want to skip forward
Race through all this angst
But Stanley says that there is something in this moment for me to know
Relish
Learn from
Savour

There is something in each moment
That I cannot miss
That through the tear-speckled eyes I must blink to see to
The gift
My gifts
That are new every morning



3 comments:

  1. Beautiful ;)

    What does GPA mean on little flat stanley?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey cheeky!!

    It means "Grace Prep Academy" - thats where he came from!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, I was trying to find deeper meanings to it!

    ReplyDelete