Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Last

Arlington, Texas
My home for five years

Yesterday I got on a plane to you
For the last time that I know of

This is our last summer together

When we first met, the sun so bright and warm at 8pm
After invasive immigration “welcome”
You lavishness welcomed me as I settled into my pool house
My first experience of life behind gates
My British charm delightful
Until the second day came
when I called my host’s adult son
 a smart ass
And I realised your language is different
And I have a potty mouth.

I wondered whether I would fit
In within your
Redneck ways
And cowboy hats

But there is so much more to you than
The show ‘Dallas’ portrays

Arlington you were the place
I learnt
Really learnt
Youth ministry
Learnt it’s significance
Learnt that it makes my heart beat
Learnt that mediocrity doesn’t pay the bills
And doesn’t save souls

Learnt to delegate
Let go
Not control
And grow others

Learnt how hard
Yet beautiful it is
To create family
Family that loves Father

Learnt that consumerism
Is in the church
But authenticity
Brings freedom

Learnt about the journey
The conversation
The adventure in you
Your word
Really knowing and studying your word
And your spirit
In the everyday

And Arlington,
You were the place that comforted me
Wiped tears
In the face of
suicide
breast cancer
homesickness
brain tumours

And most of all
I thank you
For getting me married
And keeping me married
For without the mentors of your city
I know I would be
Another divorce statistic
Or another lonely girl
Unable to trust

The best way to know a city
Is to get lost in it
And now I don’t know where
Arlington ends
And I begin

So I put on my swimsuit
Enjoy your sun
Sip all the Sonic I can

And forget about the tears that will flow
When nine weeks
Is counted down.



No comments:

Post a Comment