Sunday, September 12, 2010

Tambourine

I finally got my chance to be part of the worship team on Saturday during the Pais commissioning service. And it wasn’t with a tambourine [someone else had that :O)].



I was on stage.

Holding a microphone.

That was working.

During worship.

My role?

There were no plug-ins for the acoustic guitars, so I had to hold the microphone by one of them so the audience could hear the music.

The audience couldn’t see me because I was hidden behind the Pais:Ghana banner that was on stage.

The past three days have been a flurry of manic activity and really understanding TIA – This is Africa. It is fast-paced yet slow; it is post-modern yet pre-modern; it is expensive yet cheap.

On Friday, it was our last day of “classroom style” Foundational Training [from Monday we will be doing a week of practical preaching and ministry writing work]. Saturday was our commissioning service and Steve and I were invited to speak at one of the Pais partnering churches youth leaders training sessions. Today, we arrived at church at 7am and left at 2.30pm.

What I am LOVING about Ghana is the worship.

The loud, exciting, passionate, joyful expression of people praising God.

Today at church there was a dance troupe of tambourine-clad older ladies rocking it out in a choreographed routine.

Some of the apprentices joined some Ghanaians in what looked like a Christian version of the Macarena.

The “Children’s Day” presentation involved three boys and a girl break dancing and rapping, as well as a massive group dance to Mary Mary.

And I am LOVING prayer times.

Just how passionate and excited people are about something that so many see as a painful obligation. How rich and deep their belief in Father God answering them is.

The Reverend at Royalhouse Chapel today spoke about how the apprentices from difference countries would go back changed after a year being with them.

I feel changed after a week….only three days left :O(

No comments:

Post a Comment