Friday, February 11, 2011

Tea

I loved the Black Eyed Peas Superbowl Halftime show.
To be honest it was the only thing I was looking forward to in regards to the Superbowl.



The dancing
The choreography
Stage design
Costumes
It was a performance
It was a spectacle

I love the party anthem of 'I’ve Gotta Feeling', always loudly shouting, “Mazeltov!”
I love the beats of their songs and how I have one friend, a Christian teacher and mother of three, who always whispers, “Dirty bit!” with a cheeky chuckle.

Ending the show with that age old question:
“Where is the love?”

Where is it??

I know our society is so broken, falling apart in so many ways

But I still see it

In the ever-growing group of people in Arlington and beyond who are fundraising to build 10+ wells providing clean water, classroom buildings and a library in a small village in Ethiopia.

In the kids writing valentines for all their classmates, so they don’t feel left out

In the family I am working with getting me snickers and my favourite Whole Foods bread.

In my brother's care for his seven-month-old cousin.

In the way strangers still hold open doors for people at restaurants and stores.


In men who still woo their wives and take them out on dates after 50 years of marriage. 


In the restoration that comes to a divided family when a new baby is born. 


In the people who work for non-profit organizations, government-funded initiatives, and low paying community efforts, for the sake of others, not for the sake of a large salary. 


In the family that have Steve and I over every week for dinner. 

The love is found when we do not let the cynical rule:
"I always prefer to believe the best about everybody, it saves so much trouble." - Rudyard Kipling. 

When we chose to see the joy in all situations:
"I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little." - Paul the apostle

When we use words of care, even when we don’t feel the other person deserves them:
"If you see your enemy hungry, go buy him lunch; if he's thirsty, bring him a drink.
Your generosity will surprise him with goodness, and God will look after you." - Proverbs 25 v 22


When we protect those who can’t protect themselves:
"The greatness of America is in how it treats its weakest members: the elderly, the infirm, the handicapped, the underprivileged, the unborn." - Bill Federer


We open our doors to others:
"Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day." - Sally Koch 


We make tea, not war.

No comments:

Post a Comment