Thursday, February 24, 2011

Tiger

I am a tiger.

I became one at 11, as my body stretched and grew awkwardly into its shape.

On a middle school trip to France for culture, architecture and food,
we found ourselves
Somehow
In a clothing store.

Excitement grew as we scanned swimsuits.
This was the summer we had waited for:
From one piece
To two.

A grey bikini with short bottoms caught my eye
I eagerly tried it on
Then came out to display it to my friends
The Mean Girls rule applies – you can’t buy something unless everyone agrees on it.

I opened the curtains to find
A boy had infiltrated our group
Now part of the judging panel
He declared:

“What are those tiger stripes on your legs?!”

That’s when I knew I was a tiger.

An ugly one.
One that stood out too much
Too far

And so
I hid away.

Those lines that symbolised womanhood
Strength
Growth
Became the lines
The scars
The daggers marks
That ruined me
Ruined looking in the mirror
Ruined my esteem

I hated the stripes.
The represented my weakness.

You have a weakness too.
Something you feel "lets the side down."

The bump on your nose.
The hair down your back.
The lines on your belly.
The marks on your leg.

Your stripes are big and small
dark and light
bumpy and ridged
wrinkled and taut

Your stripes make you cry
Wince in pain, scream aloud, feel such
Shame

His stripes did the same.
From the whips and the chains
From the crowd jeering his name
As the blood poured out red
As His body went dead

Yet by His stripes we are healed.

Where others saw weakness
There was strength and power
Healing
Life.

His stripes saved me.

And yours will too.

Because behind the scar,
The stripe, the bump,
The line, the cut, the bruise
The disfigurement

Is a story.

As a tiger, 
I couldn’t rely on the outside, the appeal, the appearance to draw a crowd in
I learnt to be modest
That my body wasn’t a spectacle
So I stood back and watched others take centre stage
And watched as flirtation and then promiscuity stood by them and took a bow
And went into 
the encore.

As a growing tiger
Older
Supposedly wiser
My stripes as deep as they were before
I gather my cubs
With their marks, cuts, bruises
The things they just don’t like about
Themselves
And tell them the story of my stripes

And hope that by telling my tale
They
Will be healed.

Their esteem restored
Their hearts inspired
Their lives changed

Though memories fade
Hearts are healed
Your scars won’t be taken away

Because without them
You are plain animal
With no story to tell
With no story to bring hope.

Embrace the thing you most dislike about yourself
and ask
what is the story beneath it?
what is the power it holds?
what have I been taught through it?

whose life will it make a difference to?

I am a tiger.



What animal are you?





No comments:

Post a Comment