Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Babes

Lights lower to dim as
Slideshow flicks on screen
Reveals first photo of babe in arms.
Tears fall like a river
The child’s mother passes me kleenex.

Yes, this is graduation
The only situation that can bring me to tears.
My heart thinks
“this isn’t even my kid”
but truth is
I have been a part
Of many a life that I’m not biologically related to.


8th graders filled the house
crazy hair, braces on teeth
sugar highs raise the roof
as we cart outside for ‘balloon stomp’
and ANTM walks on the garden path.
Crazy presentations with ‘Drain-0’ on stage
and dances with tissues


all a pre-cursor
for the depths of discussion
and questions openly asked
missional times
as I watched you grow.


I don’t remember half of what I taught you
(erase that which was in appropriate)
But I remember the times
I wiped your tears
And listened as you poured your heart
And pride when you stepped onto the stage and spoke
Or played or acted
Or spiked that ball




I remember how rough around the edges you were
At the start
And I wondered
What would you become?

And the hours of worry
And prayer and wondering
Will you be ok?



And now
You are more
So much more than ok
And I’m glad that I could be here
to see you
complete
this stage. 



For ahead of you stretches
A path of multi weaving
Leading and taking you
Who but Father knows



I release you babes
Like arrows through the sphere
And you will be famous
A father or spouse
A leader, a teacher
Activist, entrepreneur
Doing things that will be
Unknown to me. 



But we had this time
And I poured into you now
And I can never forget
The difference that made.

The difference we all make
When we put others first.
Building and growing
The next generation of artillery.



Our capacity stretches far beyond who we are
And into those who drink
From our stream outpouring.
So be a fountain that quenches
A stream of life
For by your banks
Growth will be seen. 



Thank you babes,
For letting me be,
A small part of your life,
A piece of your legacy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment