Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Deep Brown

My soul awoke this morning longing for jokes.
90 minutes with this girl satisfied that need:


For the record, this is my best black GIRL friend.
Apparently it can be offensive to say you only have one good friend who is black when you are sat next to this guy:




Our Skype conversations involve loud high-pitched screaming
Dissecting the world through our brown eyes
Crazing jokes about way back when
Our friendship spanning
Back to doo-doo plaits and
White patent shoes
For pew seats on sabbaths

With some friends we bond over English literature and fashion
With others our faith unites as we collectively seek to go deeper

With Angelene and Luke
our bond goes
Deeper than
Most.
For it is more than
Skin deep.
But yet it is
Defined by skin.

Mummy worked so hard, fought so much
For best area, best schools
Effort that made me
A small group of coloured faces
In a very pale crowd

Not completely fitting in
With middle-class families
and lives unlike my own
school canteen didn’t even cook
rice & peas & chicken

Grandma loved to take me to church
Worship and know His word
Effort that gave me
Sunday school peers with faces
and hair like mine

Yet I didn’t know the same music and people
my words and slang too “proper” for them
pushing against an enclosed circle
my name was not on the list

“coconut”
black on the outside
white on the inside.

The ultimate disgrace.

Fast forward to finding love in the arms of
A pale grammar school boy
Hands holding walking beautifully in step
And told
“oh.
You’re married.
We don’t have many people like that here.”

And shame of husband
mistaken for the boyfriend of
a 17-year-old white girl
because to piece our white and milk chocolate together
in social situations
seems unbelievable.
Interracial makes no sense.

And the untold pain of constantly living,
And breathing and being,
In a place where so few faces look like yours,
And no one seems to get
Why that is such a big deal
Why you feel like you might lose
A part of who you are.

My heart desires a
United Colours of Benetton kinda place
Where we see
the beauty in all parts of the world.
No matter the shade of the sky or of your eyes.
And delight in the food
from fields far flung.

The beauty they’ll be in our mixed-race babies
light cocoa skin
taking a bit from mummy
a bit from dad.

But my heart already breaks
for the moment narrow-mindedness says
“Why is your dad white, but you are black?”

Oh to be in an open space,
open place,
where differences are embraced,
as a chance to learn and
see new things.

See, I love all things in my world of brown
Grandma’s Jamaica dumplings,
my mum’s telephone voice,
the fact my hair costs a small mortgage.
The battle our race fights,
for under-achieving boys,
fathers long gone.
Equality in some ways,
still far behind.

When you say my name and see my face,
This is my story,
These are my people.
Heritage I can’t
and don’t want
To ignore
The beauty I embrace.

Skin-defined
But not just skin deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment