Wednesday, June 22, 2011

X

I don’t know when my charm started
Maybe it was the fact that I got so much attention when I was young
People in the palm of my hand
Toddlers at story time gathered round as 4 year old me read aloud in passionate voice
I know it got triggered one day
Concert in oxford park
Wanting to get near the bands
And mummy slips off
Alone
Into VIP area
Smoozes with the band Blue.
It was at that point
I realised
Charm
And a little bit of ignorance
Can get you anywhere

Fast forward to watching daytime tv
Resulting in X factor audition tickets
Turns out watching Maury (US version of Jeremy Kyle) can be valuable

Sweating hot in line
Seeing cameras in places
Hands on hips
Knowing eyes making contact
Cheeky Dallas morning news interview in place




pushing through crowds inside
mad dash for seat
close




but not close enough

push past the adolescent boys in Sperry’s and polo shirts
fire in my eyes
down the stairs to
Joanne
Just your average usher

Now
My new best friend
English charm

Patience my child
Center seats nearer the front



the hilarity of auditions
so much more vibrant than tv
the cutting yet true jabs of Simon
compliment Paula’s sweet sincerity
taping ends
crowd disperse
catch Simon heading towards audience
cat-like body traverses crowd
body in place
to shake hand
make brief polite conversation
It’s nice to hear a familiar accent”



Charm
And a little bit of ignorance
(cheeky English accent)
Can get you anywhere

If you are willing to step out.

Imagine if I used my powers for good.





1 comment: